One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the Greek revival cottage known as the Poole-Parker House . The marker was erected in 1980 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“This Greek revival cottage was built in the 1860s by W. G. Boepple on land he bought from Valentine Poole, a local cattle dealer who again became the owner in 1872. In 1886 the home was sold to the estate of “Galveston News” editor Willard B. Richardson. Later his daughter caroline managed the property. She was the wife of Dr. H. P. Cooke, city health officer and dean of the state medical branch here. In 1935 the house was sold to John A. and Emma Jeanne Parker.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1980”