One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the Greek revival residence built in 1870 by Galveston attorney Marcus C. McLemore. The marker was erected in 1980 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“This two-story galleried Greek revival residence was built about 1870 by Galveston attorney Marcus C. McLemore (d. 1898). The Society for the Help of Homeless Children bought the home in 1901 for use as a charitable center. It was enlarged in 1912 with funds contributed by Morris Lasker (1840-1916), a local businessman. Changes included an expanded basement and an addition to the northwest corner. The house was named in honor of Lasker in 1913.”
“RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK – 1980”