One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is at the location of St. Joseph’s Church originally built for the German Catholic population. The marker was erected in 1978 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“In the 1840s and 1850s, Galveston was a major point of entry for German immigrants. Bishop John M. Odin recommended construction of this church in 1859-60 for the German Catholic population. Joseph Bleicke, a German-born carpenter, built the frame structure with Gothic Revival detailing. A trefoil window adorns the square bell tower. St. Joseph’s operated a parochial school from 1876 to 1926 and remained an active parish until 1968.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1978”