One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the final resting place of Nahor Biggs Yard. The marker was erected in 1993 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“In 1838 New Jersey native Nahor Biggs Yard arrived in the new town of Galveston and built one of the city’s first residences. Yard enjoyed success in business but is best remembered for his distinguished civic and military career. He served as city alderman, county commissioner, church and Masonic leader, Colonel in the First Regiment of Texas troops, school board member, and president of the Howard Association, a local philanthropic organization.”
“Recorded – 1993”