One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the final resting place of John Bankhead Magruder. The marker was erected in 1994 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Virginia native John Bankhead Magruder graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1830. For meritorious service in the Mexican War (1846-48) Magruder was promoted to lieutenant colonel. He later resigned from the U.S. Army to join the Confederacy in 1861. As commander of the Texas District he overcame a Federal blockade and regained control of Galveston and the Texas Gulf Coast. After the Civil War he fled to Mexico and served in Maximillian’s army.”