One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is at the location that the George Washington Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was formed. The marker was erected in 1976 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“On June 17, 1895, at the home of Mrs. George Seeligson, located at this site, the George Washington Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was formed. The name was selected because charter members included Mrs. Sydney Fontaine and her daughter Shirley, descendants of George Washington. This was the first DAR chapter in Texas, predating the state organization by five years. Since its founding, the group has pursued its goal of historic preservation, education of youth, and promotion of good citizenship.”