One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the Eugenia & George Sealy Pavilion. This marker was erected in 1988 by the City of Galveston.
“Service to the community by the late George Sealy (1880-1944), Galveston financier and civic leader, and his wife Eugenia (1901-1987) was commemorated by the dedication of this pavilion in their memory. The pavilion is a gift to the people of Galveston from their three children, Mrs. Eugenia Sealy Cross of Marion, N.C., George Sealy III of Houston, and Lane T. Sealy of San Antonio”
“George Sealy was president of the Galveston Wharf Company at the time of his death, and Eugenia was a civic leader in Galveston during the World War II years and took part in her husband’s many civic activities. Through his love of flowers Mr. Sealy did much to beautify the City of Galveston and to publicize the city as the “Oleander City.” He was among those largely responsible for the beautification of the Broadway and 25th Street esplanades.”
“Dedicated September 28, 1988.
Janice R. Coggeshall, Mayor”