One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the Dr. Frederick K. and Lucy Adelaide Fisher House. The marker was erected in 1993 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Dr. Frederick K. Fisher (1852-1920) and his wife Lucy Adelaide (Selkirk) (1856-1939) purchased this property in February 1888 and had this house built that same year. Both members of pioneer Texas families, the Fishers were active in local civic organizations. Dr. Fisher, who had served as State Quarantine Officer at Indianola prior to its destruction in the hurricane of 1886, continued his career as quarantine officer at Galveston following his move here. He shared office space with his brother, Dr. William Fisher. A third brother, Walter, was a pharmacist.”
“Walter Fisher, his wife, and all but one of their children were killed during the 1900 storm which devastated Galveston Island. Frederick and Adelaide Fisher adopted their orphaned nephew, F. Kenner Fisher, and reared him in this house. After his sudden death at age 11 in 1912, they donated land to St. Mary’s Orphanage for a park in his memory.”
“A fine local example of the Victorian-era stick style of architecture, the Fisher house exhibits hallmark features of the style, including jigsawn and turned-wood porch detailing and imbricated shingle work. It remains an important element in Galveston’s cultural and architectural history.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1992”