Galveston.com  Holy Rosary Catholic Church

HISTORIC PLACES
Advertisement
general map disqus

Texas' first African-American Catholic Church.

Bishop Nicholas A. Gallager started the first African American Catholic School in Texas in 1886. However, the church was not organized until December of 1889 when Father Phillip Keller, a native of Germany, was appointed the first resident pastor of Holy Rosary Parish. The original site for the church and other parish buildings was 25th and Avenue L. In 1914 they were all moved to the present location on Avenue N between 30th and 31st Street. The school was closed in 1979 after 81 years of service.

After the destruction caused by Hurricane Ike in 2008, the Catholic Archdiocese consolidated Holy Rosary Church with the four other Catholic Churches on Galveston Island on August 14, 2009 under the new parish name of Holy Family Parish. The parish office number is (409)762-9646.