One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church. The marker was erected in 1994 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Galveston Bishop C. M. Dubuis established this parish in 1870 to serve Catholics in Galveston Island’s fast-growing west end district. A wood sanctuary was built at this site and the mostly Irish congregation named the church for St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland.”
“The Rev. Laurence Glynn arrived in 1871, a few days after storms had destroyed the sanctuary. He rallied the congregation and by 1877 an impressive Gothic structure, designed by noted architect and church member Nicholas J. Clayton, was completed. A parish school was established in the 1880s.”
“After the storm of 1900 the U. S. Corps of Engineers mandated that Galveston Island be elevated, and between 1905 and 1907 the massive St. Patrick Church building was lifted five feet onto a new foundation.”
“Two mission churches were founded by St. Patrick Church; Our Lady of Guadalupe Church became its own parish in 1927, and Queen of Peace Church continued as a mission of St. Patrick Church. In the late 1980s the parish elementary schools were consolidated. The school facilities at St. Patrick were converted for parish offices, religious education, and social events. The congregation continues its traditional role as a leading Catholic institution for Galveston Island.”