One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the city’s oldest surviving church St. Mary’s Cathedral. The marker was erected in 1967 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“City’s oldest surviving church. Built 1847 by the most Rev. John M. Odin, C. M., Early missionary, and first bishop of Texas. Gift of half a million bricks from Antwerp, Belgium, made structure possible. Gothic cathedral is preserved in original style. After disastrous flood of 1875, tower was crowned with status of Mary, Star of the Sea, which has withstood storms ever since. Fine stained glass windows and rich altars are notable features.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1967”