One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the central passenger station for Galveston’s railway system. The marker was erected in 1983 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“The south half of this building was constructed in 1913 to serve as a central passenger station for Galveston’s railway system and to house the general offices of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad’s Gulf lines. In 1932 an 11-story tower and 8-story north wing were added, incorporating elements of the art deco style. In 1964 the Galveston office of the Santa Fe Railroad closed, and the company’s last passenger train stopped here three years later.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1983”