One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the Powhatan House. The marker was erected in 1967 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Early Galveston hotel; built 1847 by John Seabrook Sydnor, Galveston mayor 1846-1847.”
“Greek revival architecture; Doric columns from Maine.”
“Has served as orphanage, military academy, residence, and set for a motion picture. Now Galveston Garden Center.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1967”