One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the first building of the University of Texas Medical Branch. The marker was erected in 1969 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“First, and originally the only building of University of Texas Medical Branch. Master architect Nicholas J. Clayton designed the massive Romanesque structure. It was dedicated October 5, 1891.”
“Although rooms were almost devoid of equipment, the school boasted a young, vigorous staff. Enrollment in 1891 was 23.”
“The building was named in 1949 for Ashbel Smith (1805-86), pioneer surgeon, diplomat, and “Father of the University of Texas.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1969”