One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is Near Campsites of Louis-Michel Aury and Francisco Xavier Mina. The marker was erected in 1968 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“A bivouac in late 1816 and early 1817 for an oddly mixed group of soldiers from many nations joined in the common purpose of freeing Mexico from Spain.”
“Under two spirited leaders– Mina (1789-1817), an impetuous young Spanish general, and Aury (about 1788-1821), a French privateer and soldier of fortune– the forces drilled while waiting reinforcements and the best time to strike.”
“For six years Mexico had been trying to wrest power from Spain but lacked military leadership and supplies. These items the two young adventurers hoped to furnish. Aury had already been chosen by Mexican rebel leaders as “Commissioner” of Galveston Island, from which he preyed on Spanish shipping.”
“At the campsite, Mina’s cargo was stored in the hulk of an abandoned ship and, under a torrid sun, he set up tents west of “Galvez Town.” Aury, from his store of booty, supplied all with excellent rations.”
“On April 7, 1817, Mina’s invaders sailed, with eight ships and about 235 men, for Soto la Marina; Aury stayed at Galveston. At first victorious, Mina moved inland but was defeated at Venadito on October 27.”
“Three years later, having gained from early rebel efforts such as these, Mexico won her freedom.”