One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the Menard-Ganter House built in 1882. The marker was erected in 1992 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Medard Menard followed his well-established cousin, Michel B. Menard, to Galveston where he married Susan LeClere in 1838. He built this house in 1882 for himself, Susan and their daughter, Marie, and her children. The home was purchased by Herbert J. Ganter and his wife, Bertha, in 1902. Its traditional Galveston form is represented by a front gallery with Eastlake detailing, dormered second level, and single door primary entrance with transom.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1992”