One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the Galveston Children’s Home founded in 1878. The marker was erected in 1978 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Founded in 1878 by George Dealey (1829-1891), the Galveston Children’s Home moved to this location in 1880. Henry Rosenberg gave money to construct a massive Gothic revival building here in 1894-95. It was destroyed by the storm of 1900. Newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst hosted a charity bazaar at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City to raise funds for rebuilding. This brick structure was completed in 1902. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1978”