One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is at the former site of Heidenheimer’s Castle. The marker was erected in 1978 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“In 1857 John S. Sydnor (1812-1869), former Galveston mayor, built the original two-story, eight-room structure at this site. Samson Heidenheimer (1834-1891) bought it in 1884. The German-born Heidenheimer began with a $100 loan and built a fortune as a Confederate blockade runner. He was associated with Sydnor and his son Seabrook in an auction business. Heidenheimer enlarged the house to four stories and 37 room and added castle-like tower and turrets. It changed owners many times after his death; burned in 1973, and was razed in 1975.”