One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the second oldest temple in the state of Texas. The marker was erected in 1967 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Erected in 1870. Cultural and religious center for 85 years. Second oldest temple in Texas. Converted to Masonic Temple in 1953. Henry Cohen, rabbi from 1888-1950, was noted advisor and beloved humanitarian to the entire city.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1967.”