One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at, “The Official Opera House of Texas” the Grand 1894 Opera House. The marker was erected in 1990 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Designed by Frank Cox of New Orleans, this Romanesque revival structure served as an opera house, hotel, and restaurant when it opened for its first season in 1895. Converted to a movie theater in the 1920s, it was restored in the 1970s and 1980s to once again serve as a venue for the performing arts. Prominent features of the building include its stone and terra cotta trim. An original cupola over the main entrance was destroyed in the 1900 storm.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1990”