Galveston.com  Avenue L Missionary Baptist Church

HISTORIC PLACES
Advertisement
general map disqus

Texas' first African American Baptist Church.

An outgrowth of the Colored Baptist Church formed in 1840 as the slave congregation of the First Missionary Baptist Church, the church moved to the Avenue L site in 1855 with the Reverend Israel S. Campbell serving as the pastor. The 1900 Storm destroyed that building.

The Tanner Brothers Contractors and Architects, an African-American firm, constructed the present structure in 1916. Visible on the west side behind the brick church is the wooden church of 1904.