One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the Sweeney-Royston House built by James Moreau Brown in 1885. The marker was erected in 1978 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“James Moreau Brown (1821-1895), builder of Ashton Villa, erected this home in 1885 as a wedding gift for his daughter Matilda (1865-1926) and her husband Thomas Sweeney (d. 1905). Attributed to architect Nicholas J. Clayton, the Victorian cottage features angular dormer windows and a mariner’s wheel motif in the front porch balustrade. Judge Mart Royston, noted lawyer and civic leader, and his two sisters occupied the residence from 1911 until 1954.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1978”