One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the Mallory Produce Building. The marker was erected in 1962 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Originally built after 1877, this structure was rebuilt after an 1881 fire. Although owned at the time by D.D. Mallory of Baltimore, it was occupied by wholesale grocers Moore, Stratton & Co. and other businesses. It was known throughout much of the 20th century as the Produce Building because of its use as a wholesale produce establishment. A good example of a typical 19th-century commercial structure, it features a paneled first-story arcade with 14-foot doors.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1962”