One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the former residence of William B. Lockhart son-in-law of Walter Gresham. The marker was erected in 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“The first portion of this Queen Anne house was built before 1889 as a one-story cottage. About 1894, during the ownership of William B. Lockhart (1860-1923), it was enlarged by raising the original section to the second floor and adding a new ground floor. A son-in-law of Walter Gresham, builder of the Bishop’s Palace, Lockhart became a prominent justice of county and federal courts. The house was later owned by his son John W. Lockhart (1891-1971), also a noted judge.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1981”