One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the final resting place of Levi Charles Meyers Harby. The marker was erected in 2014 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Born in Georgetown, South Carolina, Levi Charles Meyers Harby was the son of Solomon Harby and Rebecca (Moses) Harby. During the War of 1812, Levi served in the U.S. Navy. He was commissioned as a midshipman and stationed at Charleston. After the capture of the British ship Providence, he was one of the officers placed aboard the prize ship.”
“The Providence was recaptured and Levi was a prisoner of war in England for two years. In January 1836, Revenue Cutter Service records indicate that Levi left his service aboard the cutter Dallas and had “Gone to Texas.” Some sources claim that he was affiliated with the Brutus in New Orleans and sailed her to Texas in early 1836.”
“In 1842, at age 48 in Camden County, Georgia, Levi married Leonora Delyon and had three children: Henry J., Rebecca Sarah and Jacob de la Motte. His family moved with him to Galveston where Leonora became a well-known Jewish scholar, established the first Jewish Sunday School in Texas and founded the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society of Galveston.”
“While living in Galveston, Levi resigned commission with the U.S. Cutter Revenue Service and offered his services to the government of the Confederate States as a heavy artillery captain during the Civil War. He served aboard the CSS Neptune during the Battle of Galveston. At the end of the war, he was in command of Galveston Harbor. In 1865, Levi was given a parole of honor. He resided in Galveston until his death. Levi is buried with his wife in the Hebrew Benevolent Society Cemetery in Galveston County.”