One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the former residence of J. F. Smith built in 1884. The marker was erected in 1990 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Designed by Nathaniel Tobey, Jr., and built in 1884 for the family of John Francis Smith, this house is an excellent example of Italianate architecture. Prominent features of the house include paired brackets, a bay window, balcony, and hood moldings over large windows. Smith, who founded the J. S. Smith & Bro. Hardware Company on The Strand, probably ordered much of the woodwork, including doors and windows, from supply catalogs.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1990”