One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the neoclassical style house completed in 1906 for Isaac and Henrietta Kempner. The marker was erected in 1994 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“At the time of his death in 1894 Polish immigrant Harris Kempner, age 57, was a leading Galveston businessman with interests in banking, insurance, railroads, and cotton. Isaac Herbert Kempner, age 21 and the eldest of Harris Kempner’s eight children, took over his father’s many businesses. In 1902 Isaac married Henrietta Blum, daughter of a prominent Galveston businessman.”
“Isaac Kempner became an important businessman in his own right and after the devastating storm of 1900 demonstrated exceptional civic leadership in his efforts to rebuild Galveston’s entire infrastructure. From 1917 to 1919 he served as Galveston city mayor.”
“In 1904 the Kempners purchased three lots here on Broadway, Galveston’s most fashionable boulevard. This imposing two-story neoclassical style house was designed by local architect Charles W. Bulger and completed in 1906. The house features colossal Corinthian columns and extensive use of art glass in its windows and large single entry door with transom and sidelights. In 1924 additional lots became available on the west side and a two-story concrete and stucco wing designed by noted Houston architect John F. Staub was added. The house remained in the Kempner family until 1970.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1995”