One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at what was once known as the Island City Protestant Orphans Asylum opened in Oct. 20, 1878. The marker was erected in 1976 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“(Jan. 20, 1829 – March 31, 1891) Born in Liverpool, England, George Dealey moved to Galveston in 1870 with his wife, Mary Ann (Nellins) Dealey (1829-1913), and their nine children. Dealey was a deeply religious man, who engaged in many charitable activities. In 1878 he persuaded Mrs. E. M. Arnold to help him organize a home for orphan children. He rented a house at 8th and Broadway, and on Oct. 20, 1878, opened the Island City Protestant Orphans Asylum.”
“Several clergymen quickly gave their support to the endeavor, and Galveston citizens donated funds. After one month, the orphanage moved to a 2-story building, owned by Mrs. John Hibbert, at the corner of 11th and Market Street. In 1879 Dealey turned control of the institution over to a board of directors headed by Judge Charles L. Cleveland. In January 1880, the home was chartered and moved to facilities on this site, where it continued to grow and gain support from the community. Renamed the Galveston Orphans’ Home, it still follows admittance standards drawn up by its founder, George Dealey.”
“Dealey died in Dallas, where his family moved in 1889. Two of his sons, George Bannerman (1859-1946) and James Q. Dealey *1961-1937), later became well-known as publisher and editor of the “Dallas Morning News.””