One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the first medical college in the state of Texas. The marker was erected in 1968 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“(Originally Located One Mile West)”
“First medical college in Texas and predecessor of the University of Texas Medical Branch, the school opened in 1865 as a branch of Soule University at Chappell Hill. Although equipment during the first session consisted of one skeleton, one obstetrical dummy, and three anatomy charts, the teaching level was high — equal to that in most medical schools in the United States at the time.”
“The college moved three times in eight years, but enrollment increased to 46 by 1873 and students were authorized to attend patients in the Island City Hospital. In obedience to law, all corpses were buried, but the bodies of some indigents were later disinterred by students for dissecting purposes.”
“In 1873, the school was reorganized as the “Texas Medical College and Hospital” under the guidance of Dr. Ashbel Smith, brilliant, fiery-tempered surgeon who was also famed as a Texas statesman.”
“In 1891, the medical branch of the University of Texas was established here with Sealy Hospital as the college teaching hospital. The red Brick building at this site originally housed the entire school. Today the medical branch has an annual enrollment of 900 and is one of Texas’ leading medical colleges.”