One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the Clarke-Jockusch Home built in 1895 by Captain Charles Clarke. The marker was erected in 1965 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“This large Victorian home was built in 1895 by Captain Charles Clarke, a prominent figure in the Galveston shipping industry.”
“In 1928 the house was purchased by grain exporter Julius W. Jockusch, who served as consul in Belgium and later consul in Germany. Constructed with double brick walls, the house withstood the 1900 storm and other hurricanes, serving many times as a shelter for friends and neighbors.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark 1965”
Incise in base: “Replaced 1983, Hoblitzelle Foundation/Texas Historical Foundation”