One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is at the former residence of the Boddeker family. The marker was erected in 2001 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Boddeker House The son of German immigrants, Joseph Boddeker came to Galveston with his parents about 1850. After service in the Civil War, he worked as a riverboat pilot and purchased this lot for his family home in the 1870s. When the original Boddeker House was destroyed in the 1900 storm, Capt. Boddeker purchased and relocated this 1893 house from 12th and Sealy. His son James (1875-1940), who lived here with his wife, Elizabeth, was a successful businessman and civic leader, serving as county commissioner from 1912 until 1940. Upon his death, Elizabeth completed his term as commissioner, becoming the first woman in Galveston County to hold that post.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2001”