One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the former residence of brick mason Thomas Lucas and his wife Catherine Best. The marker was erected in 2005 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Catherine Best purchased this site in February 1866. In July of that year, sister-in-law Anne Best, wife of Louis Best, bought the improved lot from Catherine and her husband, William, a carpenter by trade. More improvements had been made by 1871, when the property was sold to Catherine and Thomas Lucas, a noted brickmason in Galveston. Alfred and Elizabeth Pierson bought the house in 1882, and it changed hands several times over the next decades, often serving as rental housing. Slated for demolition in the 1980s, it was purchased and rehabilitated. Today it exhibits its original Greek Revival influences, a three-bay front porch, gabled windows and many of its interior features.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2005”