In 1894, 36 members of Union Baptist Church received letters to dismiss them from the church. They started a new church by meeting in homes until a lot with two houses was obtained at 15th and Avenue N. The name St. Luke was suggested by a Mrs. Bess and received a majority of the votes. The church on 15th and Avenue N was destroyed by the 1900 Storm. The church then moved to 9th and Broadway. The present site was purchased in 1911.