One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the final resting place of The Rev. Henry P. Young. The marker was erected in 1992 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Born Heinrich P. Jung in Germany in 1817, the Rev. Henry P. Young began a Methodist ministry in Galveston in 1846. That year he founded the first Society of German Methodists in Texas. From 1849 to 1855 he rode a mission circuit of German colonies in Central Texas. He returned to Galveston by 1856. In 1857 he joined the Presbyterian faith and organized the German Presbyterian Church and School where he served as minister and teacher until his death in 1901.”