One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the house built for Maxwell and Sarah Maas and their nine children. The marker was erected in 1976 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“A fine cypress structure with ornate woodwork, this house was built in 1886 by Maxwell (1845-1906) and Sarah Davis Maas for their family of nine children. A Galveston-born nephew of the musical composer Offenbach, Maas was a merchant and then county tax collector in 1904-06, selling the house in 1911 and scattering widely, the heirs are still represented in local civic leadership. In 1972 the house was restored by Mrs. Pat Berntsen. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1976”