One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the John M. Jones House. The marker was erected in 1979 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“John Maxwell Jones, a native of Delaware, came to Galveston in 1839 and opened a jewelry store on The Strand. Active in area commerce, he helped organize the First National Bank of Galveston. His wife Henrietta was the daughter of French composer Jacques Offenbach. This Greek revival house served as their home prior to 1867. It was later owned by banker Henry Rosenberg, businessman Joe Levy, and County Judge E. B. Holman.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1979”