One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the grave site of James Love. The marker was erected in 1986 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“A veteran of the War of 1812, James Love, a lawyer, came to Texas in 1837 with his wife Lucy (Ballinger). He helped found Galveston, and was a political ally of Mirabeau B. Lamar. Love served as a delegate to the 1845 Annexation Convention, judge of the district court, and clerk of the United States District Court. During the Civil War (1861-1865) he enlisted in Terry’s Texas Rangers. Afterward he served as the first judge of the Harris and Galveston County Criminal Court.”
“Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 – 1986”