One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the Galveston Garten Verein a social center for Germans between 1876-1923. The marker was erected in 1971 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“In design of a Teutonic Club; all stockholders were of German descent. Center for city’s social life, 1876-1923, complex had an octagonal dance pavilion, tennis courts, bowling and tenpin alleys, bandstand, fountains. The complex was site of Galveston’s first underground electrical conduits. When corporation was dissolved, Stanley E. (Pat) Kempner bought the property and gave it to the city of Galveston for park use. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1971”