One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is at the location of Eaton Memorial Chapel built in 1882. The marker was erected in 1970 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Designed by noted architect Nicholas Clayton. Gothic revival style. Dedicated as memorial in 1882 to the Rev. Benjamin Eaton, founding rector, 1841-71. Half of funds provided by the Ladies’ Parochial Society; half by financier Henry Rosenberg. After city-wide fire 1885, chapel was used by St. Paul’s German Presbyterian Church. Center of parish life 1900-01 and 1925-27 during church repair. Renovated in 1946 and 1966.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1970”