One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is at the current location of Ball High School. The marker was erected in 1988 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Following the creation of a public free school system in Galveston in 1881, philanthropist George Ball (1817-1884) made a proposal to the city for the construction of a high school. He offered either to donate funds for the building of a school or to have it built himself and then donate it to the city. The city leaders voted to have Ball build the school.”
“A contract was signed with the George Locke and co. Construction firm on January 15, 1884, and the cornerstone was laid one month later. The stone was inscribed “George Ball to the Children of Galveston.” Ball died the following month, before the school was completed.”
“The first graduation ceremony at the school took place on May 31, 1887. Members of the Ball family continued to support the school, and public donations helped rebuild the school following the 1900 storm.”
“Ball High School opened at its present location in 1955. It was merged with Central High School in 1969. Many people prominent in Galveston history graduated from Ball High School, including Albert Lasker, John Sealy, and Marion Levy. The school continues its century-old tradition of educating Galveston’s young people.”