One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the 1877 Samson Heidenheimer Building.
“Samson Heidenheimer, pioneer Galveston merchant, had this building erected in 1877 on the site of the Grand Southern Hotel. The Grand Southern was a four-story forty-room Victorian Hotel of brick construction.”
“In 1877, a fire originating on Market Street was swept by a brisk south wind across Market and Mechanic Streets to the Strand. Twenty-six buildings in the center of the business district, including the Grand Southern Hotel, were destroyed. As soon as the debris from the fire was cleared away, Samson Heidenheimer began, on the foundation of the hotel, construction of the commercial building shown in the engraving.”
“This three story brick building which stands today was designed by Galveston architect John Moser. The brick is faced with stucco and the facade ornamented with two story pilasters. The first-floor bays are framed with segmental arches, the second-floor windows with flat arches. The original cornice has been removed.”
“Some of the largest and most important shipping concerns in the city were housed here, including H. Marwitz & Co., ship chandlers and dealers in wholesale groceries. Herman Marwitz was a director of the Galveston City Railroad, the Island City Savings Bank, and the Texas Cotton Press. Also housed here was Heinrich Mosle & Co., a large wholesale grocery company. During that time the building was known as the Mosle Building. H. Mosle founded the United Steamship Co., of which he was president, and established the first direct steamship route between Galveston and the Latin American countries.”
“Fred F. Hunter, “Manufacturing Stationer and Printer,” occupied the building from 1923 to 1976. During that time it was known as the Hunter Building.”
“In 1985, the building was restored by George and Cynthia Mitchell for use as offices and shops.”