A band of Christian believers gathered in the year 1889 after realizing the need for more churches in the community. The Reverend Taylor was appointed pastor and the name of the church was accepted. Taylor served only a few months, during which time the church members were worshiping in a building located near the beach. The congregation moved from this location to 29th and M 1/2. The beautiful edifice built there was destroyed by the 1900 Storm. The present building was erected in its place.