Galveston.com  Rosenberg Library Fountain

ROSENBERG FOUNTAIN
Advertisement
general map disqus

This fountain is one of the restored fountains originally contributed to the "Citizens of Galveston" by Henry Rosenberg. This one originally sat at 25th and Strand by Union Station.

In 1898, the estate of Swiss-born Galveston banker and philanthropist Henry Rosenberg commissioned public fountains to supply water for thirsty people, horses, dogs, and cats. Rosenber's will specified "not less than ten drinking fountains for man and beast," but the bequest proved large enough to fund seventeen. Each bore a different, often classical, design by J. Massey Rhind and was crafted of light gray granite. Seven fountains remain of the original seventeen.