Galveston.com  Old Central Cultural Center

HISTORIC PLACES
Advertisement
general map disqus

Formerly the Colored Branch of the Rosenberg Library, Texas' First African American Public Library, 1905.

“An annex to Central High School for a library for the Colored People of Galveston” was authorized by the Galveston School Board on May 18, 1904. A collaborative effort between the Rosenberg Library Association, the City of Galveston and the Galveston School Board became a reality on January 11, 1905. The library was moved to the wing added to the Central High School in 1924. The Clayton-designed main building is gone, but the annex, including the “Colored Branch” remains, and is now a museum and the home of the Old Central Cultural Center.