There’s a reason we like to call Galveston the “Winter Wonder Island” of Texas. It offers more than 50 days of magical activities from November through January. Don’t believe us? Here are our top reasons to make a Christmas pilgrimage to the island:
- ICE LAND: POLE TO POLE AT MOODY GARDENS: New theme for 2018! A skilled team of master ice carvers has taken 2 million pounds of ice to create your festive journey from the North to South Pole. See polar bears, penguins, humpback whales, snowy owls, walrus and of course reindeer! Glide down the giant glacier slide and enjoy a festive drink inside an igloo at Shivers Ice Bar. (Nov 17 – Jan 6)
- FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS AT MOODY GARDENS: Brighten up the holidays with a tradition for families and groups alike! A mile-long trail with more than one million lights and lighted scenes take you around the Moody Gardens property with spectacular views of Galveston Bay. Enjoy the area’s only outdoor skating rink, concession areas with hot chocolate and festive food, holiday buffets, live entertainment and more. (Nov17–Jan6)
- THE GRAND 1894 OPERA HOUSE HOLIDAY SEASON: Celebrate the holidays with Grand entertainment – Asleep at the Wheel – Merry Texas Christmas Y’all, The Priests, Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis, Jerry Jeff Walker, All Is Calm: The Christmas Truce of 1914, A Charlie Brown Christmas Live on Stage and The Other Mozart - presented in Galveston’s magnificent, historic theatre. (Nov 24 – Jan 12)
- MIRACLE POP-UP BAR: Miracle, the beloved Christmas-themed pop-up bar launched in 2014 in New York City, will continue spreading holiday cheer around the globe in 2018, as the brand celebrates its five-year anniversary. This year? The concept makes a stop at the Island's DTO.
- DOWNTOWN LANTERNS & LIGHTS: Featuring a magical display of Christmas lights and other artisan pieces as they illuminate Saengerfest Park and historic downtown. The park will also feature an interactive photo frame and giant snow globe on designated weekends. (Nov 24 – Jan 1)
- DOWNTOWN SHOPPING IN GALVESTON'S HISTORIC DOWNTOWN DISTRICT: Find unique holiday gifts at the many boutiques, art galleries, antique shops and more within Galveston’s 36-block historic downtown. (Nov 23 - Dec 24)
- 45TH ANNUAL DICKENS ON THE STRAND: Travel back in time as downtown Galveston’s Strand Street is transformed into the Victorian London of Charles Dickens with this exciting festival. (Nov 30 – Dec 2)
- SANTA TRAIN AT THE GALVESTON RAILROAD MUSEUM: Welcome Santa as he comes to town aboard the Galveston Railroad Museum’s Harborside Express Train. (Dec 15)
- HOLIDAY WITH THE CRANES: Celebrate the magnificent 4-foot-tall Sandhill Cranes that arrive just in time for the holidays, with special events from sunrise to sunset. (Dec 8-9)
- CIRQUE JOYEUX NOEL DINNER AND SHOW AT MOODY GARDENS: Enjoy a spectacular, exhilarating and joyous celebration of the holiday season with an enchanting mix of food, circus and music. (Dec 21- Jan 4)
- SANTA HUSTLE HALF MARATHON AND 5K: Run with thousands of Santas through the streets of Galveston and along the Gulf waters. (Dec 15-16)
From the Blogs
A Galveston MIRACLE
Published: Wednesday, September 05, 2018
Miracle, the beloved Christmas-themed pop-up bar launched in 2014 in New York City, will continue spreading holiday cheer around the globe in 2018 - including a stop in Galveston. Read more.
5 Fantastic Reasons You Need to Visit Galveston this Fall
Published: Wednesday, August 15, 2018
Get on Island Time this Fall because of these wonderful reasons. Read more.
The Galveston Island Bucket List
Published: Wednesday, June 06, 2018
There is so much you need to do in your lifetime on the island! Here's the ultimate Galveston bucket list: 50 things you need to do before you kick the bucket. Read more.
Why Do Snowbirds Love Galveston So Much?
Published: Monday, November 27, 2017
Is it the warmer island temperatures? The wonderful holiday traditions? Take a look at why so many choose Galveston as their winter getaway! Read more.
What to Wear for This Year's “Dickens on the Strand” Festival
Published: Sunday, December 04, 2016
For many, the big question for the annual “Dickens on the Strand” festival is what to wear. Read more.