One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the former site of Mathilda Wehmeyer German-American Kindergarten School. The marker was erected in 2017 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Born in Bremen, Germany, Mathilda Wehmeyer (1839-1903) arrived in Galveston in 1870. She advertised teaching services for young children, particularly those from Galveston’s large German-American community. Her teaching philosophy focused around the German concept of “kindergarten.” After initially operating from a house on Ball, she purchased this lot in 1880 for her school. The original house on the lot burned in the 1885 fire that destroyed 40 residential blocks of Galveston’s East End. In 1887, Mathilda constructed the existing Italianate building to serve as her house and school. In 1891, Mathilda reopened the school, which she operated here until 1898. She continued to live in the house until she was displaced by the Great Storm of 1900.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2017”