One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the James N. Davis House built in 1899. The marker was erected in 1979 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“James Nathaniel “Nat” Davis (d. 1902) built this two-story galleried residence in 1899. The designer was Charles W. Bulger, a Galveston architect. As a reporter for the Galveston Daily News, Davis wrote some of the earliest accounts of the destructive 1900 hurricane. After he drowned two years later, his wife Ella (Rust) rented several rooms of the house. One tenant, Frank Chauncy Patten (1855-1934), was the first librarian of Galveston’s Rosenberg Library.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1979”