One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker commemorates the location of the first church on Galveston Island. The marker was erected in 1968 by the Texas Historical Commission.
“Organized New Year’s Day, 1840, in the “Academy,” an old building on the northwest corner of this intersection. Rev. John McCullough, church organizer, became pastor. Original building was finished 1843; present structure started 1872; completed 1889. Following its escape from the great fire of 1885, church housed classes from schools which had burned. It withstood various storms until it was heavily damaged by hurricane Carla, 1961; restored, 1962.”
“Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1968”