One of over 200 historical markers on the island, this marker is located at the 1858 Pix Building a three story brick Greek Revival structure that is one of the oldest buildings in downtown.
“Charles Hodgeson Pix was a member of a Texas pioneer family that came to Galveston from England in 1838. He was one of the early English merchants in Galveston who were importers of English goods direct from London. He began business at #6 Strand in 1839 as Pix and Burney, ship brokers. At one time C.H. Pix owned the entire half block on the north side of Postoffice Street between 21st and 22nd Streets. He was listed in the 1850 census as a retired businessman, capitalist, and property owner. He was also one of the original congregation and a vestryman at Trinity Episcopal Church.”
“The three story brick Greek Revival structure is one of the oldest buildings in downtown. It is rectangular in shape with a flat roof of composition iron and has corbeled brick trim. The building has six 6/6 windows on the Postoffice side and 4 6/6 windows on the 22nd Street side with flat hood moulds. An example of architectural simplicity, it was built in 1858-1859 and partly rebuilt in 1875. The first floor was remodeled in 1909 and in 1954, and the front wall rebuilt with new brick in 1948.”
“During the Civil War the Signal Corp of the Confederate Army occupied the building in 1864 after the Battle of Galveston.”
“In 1866 the Merchants Club meetings were held on the third floor. The Galveston Tribune was printed here when the newspaper occupied the building from 1906 to 1924 before moving to the Leon and H. Blum building on Mechanic Street.”
“From 1938 to 1987 the first floor was occupied by Michael Jewelry Co. The second floor was an apartment for the owners.”