Galveston.com  Rosenberg Fountain

ROSENBERG FOUNTAIN
Advertisement
general map disqus

Henry Rosenberg was the classic 19th century immigrant, who came to work at the store and soon owned the store. He became famous for his benefactions during his lifetime and then, at his death, parceled out his whole estate for very specific items in Galveston.

In 1898, the estate of Swiss-born Galveston banker and philanthropist Henry Rosenberg commissioned public fountains to supply water for thirsty people, horses, dogs, and cats. Rosenber's will specified "not less than ten drinking fountains for man and beast," but the bequest proved large enough to fund seventeen. Each bore a different, often classical, design by J. Massey Rhind and was crafted of light gray granite. Seven fountains remain of the original seventeen.